Who we are
St. John is a growing rural/suburban Lutheran church serving greater Boiling Springs that believes the most important priority of our church is to continue Christ’s mission to make disciples:
Make Jesus known
• • •
Call it evangelism, church growth, outreach, disciple making. The bottom line is that people outside the Christian community need to be the central focus for which the church exists. Just as Christ came to seek and to save those who are lost (Luke 19:10), the church is equally responsible to seek and to save those who are lost.
As a member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, we believe that we are freed by grace of Christ to live faithfully, to serve and love our neighbor. With our hands, we do God’s work of restoring and reconciling individuals and communities in Jesus Christ’s name throughout the world. ELCA is a church that shares a living, daring confidence in God’s grace.
Three words sum up what we believe: Love, Grace, Forgiveness.
• • •
As found in Matthew 22:34-40 “Jesus said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.” This is the greatest and first commandment. And a second is like it, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”
As found in Romans 3:24 “they (us) are now justified by his (Jesus) grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, whom God put forward as a sacrifice of atonement by his blood, effective through faith.”
As found in Ephesians 4:32 “Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.”
• • •
These three words of Love, Grace and Forgiveness reminds us, at St. John and all Christians what we should do to the least of these:
- Give food to the hungry.
- Give something to drink to the thirsty.
- Welcome strangers to your home, church, community and Nation.
- Clothe those who are naked or that need help.
- Take care and visit the sick.
- Visit those who are in prison.
In the waters of baptism, we become members of the body of Christ and are called to be disciples in our daily lives. Therefore, the purpose of St. John Church is to:
- Understand, practice and live the teachings of Christ. (Follow me)
- Nurture vital faith communities where people are in relationship with God, one another and the community. (Commissioned by Jesus)
- Grow disciple communities that encourage one another to discover their gifts and use them. (Make disciples)